February 2018 – The new Land Rover Explore mobile phone is tough and capable – like the Discovery SUV that inspired it. Powerful enough for two full days of typical use and durable enough to keep you connected when the going gets tough.
Land Rover and Bullitt Group have unveiled details of the Land Rover Explore Outdoor Phone. Designed for people who live for adventure and need a phone that can survive whatever it’s put through, the smartphone will be on show at Mobile World Congress 2018, Barcelona, 26th February to 1st March 2018.
Designed with cues from the unbeatably capable and desirable Land Rover Discovery, the Explore smartphone is at home in the office and on an outdoor adventure, navigating as you go further and stay out for longer.
A powerful 4,000mAh battery gives a full days hiking, biking or skiing with screen on constantly and GPS navigation mapping activated on the five-inch HD display. Battery life can be doubled by using an Adventure Pack that also boosts the reliability and accuracy of the GPS signal and improves the mapping.
The Land Rover Explore is as adventurous as you are. Drop-tested to 1.8 metres with a factory-fitted screen protector, it can survive underwater – including salt water – and can cope with extreme temperatures, humidity, thermal shock and vibration exposure. This level of protection ensures the device can survive heavy downpours or muddy trails and will continue to work, keeping you connected.
The Android-powered phone’s home screen has a customisable outdoor dashboard for instant access to weather information and data from the device’s sensors. The full HD screen works in bright sunlight and can be controlled with gloves or wet fingers. It is also fully compatible with all Land Rover in-car apps.
Joe Sinclair, Director of Branded Goods and Licensing, Jaguar Land Rover, said:
“This the smartphone we’d all like to own – a perfect combination of design and functionality that embodies the Land Rover DNA and enables customers to be outdoors for longer, with the confidence to go further.”
Other hardware packs are available for the Land Rover Explore, including a large 4,370mAh additional battery and a universal bike mount.
The Land Rover Explore launches with the Adventure Pack, bringing GPS handheld capabilities to the smartphone straight out of the box. The phone will be available for pre-order in South Africa from April 2018.
Land Rover Explore outdoor phone specifications:
• Huge battery (4,000mAh) battery pack
• IP68 splash, water and dust resistance
• Drop-proof to 1.8 metres with factory-fitted screen protector
• Customisable outdoor dashboard to access to the most important weather information, sensor data, and on-device tools for your activity: eg weather, wind, tides, compass, SOS light
• Android Nougat (7.0) OS, with scheduled upgrade to Oreo (8.0)
• 4GB RAM and 64GB storage, expandable via microSD
• Deca-core 2.6GHz 64 bit MTK Helio X27 chipset with dual SIM functionality
• 16MP rear camera, 8MP front camera, 4x digital zoom
• Bright five-inch FHD display, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protected, optimised for outdoor use
o Touchscreen can be controlled with gloves on or with wet fingers
o Night red filter mode reduces screen glare, preserving natural vision in low light and at night
• LTE Cat 6
• Curated apps and content catalogue relevant to outdoor pursuits
Adventure Pack specification
• 3,600mAh additional battery
• 25 x 25mm ceramic patch GPS antenna
• TPU protective case
• Stainless steel carabiner with canvas strap
• IP68 and 1.8-metre drop tested
Bike Pack specification
• Bike mount and case for both stem and handlebar
• Tilt to adjust viewing angle or change device orientation
Battery Pack specification
• Ultimate battery performance, additional 4,370 mAh of battery capacity
• IP68 and 1.8-metre drop tested
The phone will be available for pre-order in South Africa from April 2018.